Assignment for next week:
1. Set up new WordPress blog for your topic of focus/beat. This is SEPARATE from your journal blog. I know, two blogs, crazy! Choose a name for it carefully, and a theme. If you’ve already done this, bully for you. Send me the URL and I’ll create a new blogroll.
2. Create about page for this topic blog.
3. Set up blogroll on your topic blog with at least five sites related to your topic. Here’s how to do it.
4. Sign up for at least one email newsletter and/or an RSS feed reader related to your beat (you might want to sign up for some related to our profession more generally, too). There are many possible feed readers out there – do some research to see which one you think best suits you. For example, here are some possibilities, including Feedly.
5. Set up Google Alerts for your blog topic
6. If you are already a blogging whiz, or have a topic blog set up already, are there any new features or widgets you could add? If your blog is pre-existing, be sure you do at least one new thing to spruce it up. Describe what you did in your journal blog
7. Make a list of at least five ideas for blog content . Ideas don’t have to be refined but should be specific. You can put this on your journal or topic blog.
8. Do readings for next week and post in the journal blog as per usual.